Descentforum.DE Forum Index Descentforum.DE
Search | FAQ | Memberlist | Usergroups | Newsfeed Newsfeed  Register
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in 
Chat | D3-Tactics | Downloads | Map | Links | Serverlist | Teamspeak 

What's new in D3EditAV41 2.1.41.75?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> English Embassy / International Descenters Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vitosky
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 28.09.2012, 21:46    Post subject: What's new in D3EditAV41 2.1.41.75? Reply with quote

Hello what's new in the last version of D3edit?
becouse you don't make a changelog?
Atan

PostPosted: 02.10.2012, 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for late reply, vacation..

Quote:
Changes 55 to 75:

News:
RoomBar:
added: Autocombine Settings and Start/Stop/Resume and Cancel

OrthoViews:
Added: Enter Vertex position by Value.

New Level:
Terrain takes current texture.

New Primitives:
New Objects takes current texture.

3ds importer:
Textures and UV's import.

Bugfix:

DALLAS Dialog
Insert a check for missing 'SavedObjectSlot' name.

Settings Dialog:
Changing Dislay all Rooms crashed Editor.

Loading objects
Custom textures were not shown.

D3Edit help:
Fixed a broken link.

OI Dialog:
Fixed problem showing room names.
Vitosky
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 04.10.2012, 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Atan perfect
many thanks to you for updates of this tool, you have back to life this editor.
Congratulations for your precious work
Atan

PostPosted: 04.10.2012, 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.
I'm glad seeing someone is still using the Editor.
Vitosky
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 14.10.2012, 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3ds importer:
Textures and UV's import.

Wow finally 3DS Max Textures and UV's import, great feature this!!! Auf den Arm nehmen
Atan

PostPosted: 14.10.2012, 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow finally 3DS Max Textures and UV's import

It's not easy to handle. You'll need this pdf file to see how to name the original textures inside your 3ds materials.
If you own the complete D3 textures, converted into tga, you can use that textures inside 3dmax. And if you name them with the numbers found right side in the pdf file, D3EditAV will import your 3ds file and show these textures aligned as seen in 3dmax.
It's possible to use the orignial names too, but some of the file names are too long and will not shown correct. These are the marked textures inside the list. That's why I would prefer the numbered names.
Custom textures can be used too, there numbers are shown inside D3EditAV and you can name them inside 3dmax the same way.

Here is a little tutorial how to use, written by Shroudeye .
Quote:

Recently, [LL]Atan has introduced the ability to import from 3DsMAX (and Blender, but I'm focusing on 3Ds here.) straight into D3Edit. This added flexibility to the geometrical production, as making complex geometry is much more easy in 3DsMax.
However, the texturing and alignment phase was left to the D3Edit. Which meant that all the textures had to be applied and aligned by hand-loads of UV-coordinate entries, stretches, and so on... plus, the 3Ds Meshes transfer as true "Meshes"-triangle faces only, and that means you also have to combine them, MANUALLY...
...Not exactly good for carpal tunnel syndrome. (Sez me fingerz. -SE)
Now, in the newest version of D3Edit, those issues have been answered. Now there is an auto-combine tool for the meshes with loads of triangles, just hit the "Auto-Combine" button, and D3Edit does it for you. (This tool however, can possibly ruin your texture alignments. It is still in development!)
But the biggest advance is that transferring meshes with textures and UV coordinates into D3Edit is now possible. You can transfer meshes with multiple textures, and even your custom textures! In this short tutorial, I'll demonstrate how to do so:

How to pass *Finished* 3ds Meshes into
D3Edit V2.1 [AV41]:

For this tutorial, I'll assume that you know how to build a complete model, assign materials to it (and map their UVW coordinates) in 3dsMax. If you don't, you can find various lessons online.
Okay, the latest version of D3Edit can read texture data from 3ds files. The aspects that can be passed are:
-Texture Alignment: You can pre-align textures in 3ds Max, using any texture-mapping tools, and pass the data into D3Edit, along with the 3ds model. There is nothing to tell here.
-Texture itself: Also, you can now "tell" which texture to be applied to any particular face. There can be multiple textures in a 3ds model. I'll explain this below.
As you remember, we don't apply textures directly in 3DsMax. Instead, we assign materials (which contain material info like its shininess, reflectivity, and well, texture.) to the objects. The "texture" we know is just a picture, assigned as a "Bitmap". It is quite different from D3Edit, where we place textures directly on the faces.
SO, how do we tell D3Edit to use "X" texture on face "007"? Simple. We tell it by using Material ID's. We enter the GAM File number of the texture as the Material ID; and when we export, D3Edit reads it and applies the corresponding texture.
And if you want to apply multiple textures, all you need to do is use the "Multi-Sub object" material, and assign different materials to the faces you want.

But what is this GAM file number?
The GAM file number is the number that is assigned to a particular stock D3 texture,
ranging from "1" ("Rainbow Texture") to 2084 ("Ref"). But they are not limited to 2084: The numbers bigger than 2084 is for your custom textures.

We enter the GAM file nr. as the Material ID, in a 4-Digit fashion. This means if you want the "Rainbow texture", which is ID number "1", you enter "0001" to the Material ID field. Similarly, "2084" gives you the "Ref" texture, "1187" is the "P-Prove WarnStripesS", "0016" gives you the "GrayRock003.TGA1", and so on.
But how we are going to know our texture's GAM number? Well, As I've been testing, I've used a list [LL]Atan provided me to get the correct GAM number for each texture.

Also, you can learn a particular GAM nr. directly from D3Edit: Simply make the texture you want "current" and hit "Info..." button. The number that you see in the "ID" field is the number you want.

(To do: to make things easier, one can make a material library composed of D3Textures, with their Mat ID set accordingly...)

And that's it! Just model your entire level in 3DsMAX, texture it, align those textures,
and export them into D3Edit for gluing.

Happy level
buildings!

--Shroudeye

I have a big big zip file which is containing all the extracted (and converted to tga) Descent3 textures.
This can be used inside 3Dmax. If someone will need it, write a PM.

Texture.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Texture.pdf
 Filesize:  135.31 KB
 Downloaded:  799 Time(s)

Last edited by Atan on 14.10.2012, 18:18; edited 1 time in total
Vitosky
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 15.10.2012, 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok perfect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> English Embassy / International Descenters Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: