Descentforum.DE Forum Index Descentforum.DE
Search | FAQ | Memberlist | Usergroups | Newsfeed Newsfeed  Register
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in 
Chat | D3-Tactics | Downloads | Map | Links | Serverlist | Teamspeak 

Vortex Problems / grayed out download buttons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> Vortex - Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Do_Checkor
Administrator

PostPosted: 25.11.2008, 12:47    Post subject: Vortex Problems / grayed out download buttons Reply with quote

fennec fox wrote:
Hey... ya it did take me a while to get on this forum.... I've been lazy. K, I went to those places you guys suggested but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. When I Go to a game I just can't join... I have version 1.4. I click download mission, sometimes the top link is broken... but even when not the button that says "join game" won't light up. Traurig I don't know what to do. I know my question is vague but if someone could help it would be nice. Thanks!

Edit: Also the Download Mod button is not lit up and I can not push.

OK let's start a bit of systematic trouble shooting here Smilie

fennec fox wrote:

When I Go to a game I just can't join... I have version 1.4.

Launch your Descent3 (by Descent3.exe) and when the orangish screen with the sun appears with the menu, have a look at the lower right corner. It should say something like "Ver. 1.1" or so. Please let me know what exactly appears there for you in red text color there.

Also: How exactly do you join games and which error message do you get (if any)?

Are you using a firewall software? If yes: You might need to allow internet access for the "main.exe" of Descent 3

fennec fox wrote:

I click download mission, sometimes the top link is broken...

As long as there is a link with the status "Working" you're fine. Just click it and the progress bar should fill up until you get a message like "Do you want to delete the zip file? It is no longer needed". Does this appear for you? After this the mission should not appear in red text color in the server list anymore but in black color. Can you confirm this is working for you?

Last thing to check here: Did you adjust the path to your Descent3 installation in the Vortex settings?
Vortex -> Settings -> D3 Settings -> Retail v 1.4 -> click the tiny folder icon on the right hand side and browse to your Descent 3 directory until you've found the main.exe

fennec fox wrote:

but even when not the button that says "join game" won't light up.

The reason for this would be that the server is running a mission which still appears in red color on the server list - meaning you don't have the mission installed yet. Use the download mission function prior to joining a game.

If this still happens after you've downloaded a level try to restart Vortex and then try to join the same server / mission again. If this still doesn't work and the button keeps beeing grayed out you might check the Vortex settings about your path to Descent3 (see further above).

fennec fox wrote:

I don't know what to do.

Well you came here and that shows: you know exactly what to do Smilie

Good luck!
fennec fox
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 25.11.2008, 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks! Well, I am going to check out all those things you said. Just so you know I have 1.4, as said in read on that main screen. And how do you open up vortex after you download it.. I can't seem to find it. Mit den Augen rollen Also, How do I check if Descent Main has internet access(or allow), I use firefox and internet explorer and this virus and spyware protection thing called Webroot if that might help. I just wanted to ask these questions incase you answer while working on the other things so I don't have to close or something and start over. Thanks again!!

Last edited by fennec fox on 25.11.2008, 23:58; edited 2 times in total
fennec fox
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 26.11.2008, 00:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as I do not know how to open up vortex without having to unzip it over again, I unzipped it again and checked that the retail v1.4 was correct I then pressed save. This is what comes up:
A small popup saying: Your Vortex installation may be damaged - orb.avi is missing!
then another small popup: Your Vortex installation may be damaged - ZipDll.dll is missing!
then another small popup: Your Vortex installation may be damaged - UnzDll.Dll is missing!

Then it goes to this vortex screen that is mostly blank but for the top with these 8 tabs: Connect, Launch D3, D3 Serverlist, Buddylist, Settings, Links, About, Exit. Then I deside to go to Serverlist and click on the game with people in it. I press download. And wow, this time there all broken: http://www.wildcards.org/zappafan/levels/d3anarchy/wet.zip, and http://www.gameedit.com/descent3/levels/wet.zip. Not a good example as there are none working. Well, as I recall when they are working I press them and they something like its already downloaded no need. Even when they are working, as once happend, join game still does not light up.

Now if you want to see actual pictures or something about what I am talking about, just ask as I do not know how to put them into the actual post (which I would have done) I'll just put as attachments.
Thanks so much you have no idea!! Sehr glücklich

Edit: didn't know that those websites would be clickable and server is not found when I click wildcards, but gameedit comes up although I'm not sure how it relates to the game.

Edit#2: a game came up where there are working. when I click on a working one this is what will popup:
"file exists already! Aborting... " Then nothing seems to happen.

Last edited by fennec fox on 26.11.2008, 00:40; edited 2 times in total
Do_Checkor
Administrator

PostPosted: 26.11.2008, 01:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

fennec fox wrote:

then another small popup: Your Vortex installation may be damaged - ZipDll.dll is missing!
then another small popup: Your Vortex installation may be damaged - UnzDll.Dll is missing!

This is the problem why you can't join games. You can download the files but can't unzip them. Reason is that you are trying to open the Vortex.exe without the rest of the files.

Here is how to fix it (read carefully):

Check your desktop for files or icons named like "Vortex" and delete them ALL - everything that starts with "Vortex". Yes I am serious Smilie

Download the current version of Vortex again from here: http://slyclan.de . When it is ready you should have a "Vortex-0.2.2.9.zip" on your desktop (well if you did it with Firefox). Right click the file and click "copy". Open your Windows Explorer by hitting the Windows key and "E" at the same time. Browse to your current Descent3 folder. Most likely this is C:\GAMES\Descent3 . Right click into this folder then and select "New" --> "Folder" (or is it Directory?) Enter the name "Vortex" and rightclick once again to hit "paste". The "Vortex-0.2.2.9.zip" should appear there now. Rightclick this file and there should be an option like "extract here" or "extract all files" or so. If you should be prompted with e folder name select the newly created path C:\GAMES\Descent3\Vortex\ .
Now you should be back in that Windows Explorer window again and see a couple of files including the "Vortex.exe" and the "UnzDll.dll" and a few sub directories. Right click the Vortex.exe and select "Send to" --> "Desktop". Close all windows so that you've gone back to your desktop. Open the "Shortcut to Vortex.exe" on your desktop. Define the path to Descent3 again as I explained in the post above. You should NOT run into the same problems again anymore.

Let me know if this works out for you Smilie

Good luck!
fennec fox
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 26.11.2008, 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am sorta confused, but thats not unusual. I am going to do a rundown of what I do.

1. Open Firefox and go to skyclan.de and download from server 1. Immediately it does not go as you said. Neutral It goes to a screen that asks how I wish to open it. I select Winzip (as it is my default), and please note I am using the evaluated version.
2. It goes to this screen with the options on the top: New, Open, Favorites, Add, Extract, ect. and the 49 files in the middle. I click Extract and place it in C:\Games\Descent3\Vortex. (I notice a little check that says Open Explorer window, I do not click.) When I click extract this is what happens:
Well not much beside that these folders and files are in the Vortex folder now. No screen popped up and I do have internet explorer up. And when I go to the start menu, All programs, Games, Descent 3, nothing new is there. Well the problem is.. what do I do from here?

Thank you so much if you could help me and even if you can't you already did more than enough for me. Smilie

Edit: I am not sure what your saying about Window's explorer, but now after thinking about it a bit I figured out that I believe that your not talking about internet explorer as I thought. Your just talking about opening them Auf den Arm nehmen So then I did what you said and moved (couldn't find sent to) Vortex to Desktop. I then opened it on Desktop (9 other files are on my desktop too for some reason). I then clicked Vortex and made sure the path was correct. But when I clicked save the same 3 pop ups came up, and I can't join games. Mit den Augen rollen Well, I obviously messed up. Thanks again!

Last edited by fennec fox on 27.11.2008, 00:33; edited 3 times in total
Do_Checkor
Administrator

PostPosted: 27.11.2008, 02:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

fennec fox wrote:
So then I did what you said and moved (couldn't find sent to) Vortex to Desktop.

Delete everythin Vortex related from your desktop again. It is wrong to have it there.

When you open Windows Explorer (Windows + E key) again to browse to the directory C:\Games\Descent3\Vortex check if the files are still there. Especially Vortex.exe and UnzDll.dll . If not repeat the procedure as described in my last post. If they are still there then rightclick the Vortex.exe and select "Send to" then "Desktop (create shortcut".

When you use the "Shortcut to Vortex.exe" then you should not get the error messages again. If you do - then you did something wrong. Try to stick exactly on the explanation and you'll get it going Smilie
fennec fox
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.12.2008, 04:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I see what I did wrong. I moved vortex. Silly error. Well sorry it took me so long to reply. I was successful in playing games on vortex and no error came up!! But, some games don't seem to work. For example, Subway dancer; Skybox (which seems to be a popular one);and Burning Inkida 3. They all have 1 or more Working links but they say "File exists already! Aborting..." And it doesn't work. Some don't have any working links. Sometimes I join a game but 20 seconds later it disconnects. Well, I don't really care if you don't know cause everything else is working. But, if you happen to know the answer Thanks! and thanks already for getting me to multi player!Sehr glücklich Any other questions I have I'll go back to planet descent as there are more English speaking people there and you shouldn't do all the work Auf den Arm nehmen.
Do_Checkor
Administrator

PostPosted: 02.12.2008, 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

fennec fox wrote:
Ahh, I see what I did wrong. I moved vortex. Silly error. Well sorry it took me so long to reply. I was successful in playing games on vortex and no error came up!! But, some games don't seem to work. For example, Subway dancer; Skybox (which seems to be a popular one);and Burning Inkida 3. They all have 1 or more Working links but they say "File exists already! Aborting..." And it doesn't work. Some don't have any working links. Sometimes I join a game but 20 seconds later it disconnects. Well, I don't really care if you don't know cause everything else is working. But, if you happen to know the answer Thanks! and thanks already for getting me to multi player!Sehr glücklich Any other questions I have I'll go back to planet descent as there are more English speaking people there and you shouldn't do all the work Auf den Arm nehmen.

Sure do I know the answer Smilie

Hit the "Windows" key and "E" to open up your Windows Explorer. Browse to C:\GAMES\Descent3\missions\. Click the "Type" tab above the file list twice to sort by file type. All ".ZIP" files should appear on the top now. Rightclick them and select "Extract all" (or if you've got a proper ZIP tool like IZArc there might be even better options to get the ZIP files extracted. Once you got it extracted, just delete them as you won't need them anymore. Another option - if you've got any problems with extracting / unzipping them: Just delete them! Go back to Vortex then and download the files again - so Vortex will extract them automatically. If you find a server which has only broken links: Report them to me via PM here - I'll contact the server ops then. So or so: Often you can just choose another server which is running the same mission and select "download mission" there. If you still have NO luck in downloading a mission like this you can go to the planetdescent mission archive and download them from there. Place them into the directory C:\GAMES\Descent3\missions\ and extract them there manually - as explained above.

Any further problems - just let me know - I am happy to help!

cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> Vortex - Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: