Descentforum.DE Forum Index Descentforum.DE
Search | FAQ | Memberlist | Usergroups | Newsfeed Newsfeed  Register
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in 
Chat | D3-Tactics | Downloads | Map | Links | Serverlist | Teamspeak 

New D3 Gametype! *BreakOut* (Beta test this weekend!!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> English Embassy / International Descenters Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foil
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.04.2008, 06:15    Post subject: New D3 Gametype! *BreakOut* (Beta test this weekend!!) Reply with quote

Listen up, folks... there is a new Descent3 gametype around the corner! Sehr glücklich

After a year or so of on-again/off-again work, I have finally finished a preliminary version of a new game mode for Descent3, called "BreakOut", and I'm going to be releasing a Beta-test version to the public this Sunday, April 6th! Cool

---------------------------------

"What is BreakOut?", you ask?

Well, first, this is not just a new level. It's a new .d3m, a game mode like Anarchy or Entropy or CTF. It's a mode that will work for any level which is built (or modified) to use it. Here's a quick description:

- BreakOut is a two-team game mode for Descent3, where the goal for each team is to score the most points.

"Sounds like Capture the Flag..." - Yep, the points do work like CTF or Team Anarchy; the game is played until the specified time or one team reaches the point goal. But the uniqueness of BreakOut is the way points are scored:

- Combat works just like Team Anarchy, one red team and one blue team.
- A team scores a point by "capturing" all the members of the other team.
- You "capture" players by killing them; killed players will respawn inside a room on the opposing side called the "jail-room" (usally closed off by something like a forcefield or locked door or blockade, depending on the level).
Here's the twist: Winken
- Free (uncaptured) players can break their captured teammates out!

In the Alpha-testing, this has made for some really interesting and fun team dynamics:

Imagine this: your team is starting to lose, three of your four pilots have been captured, but you are able to swing momentum back to your side by breaking them out!

Or this: your last free opponent tries to make a run for the switch to free his teammates, but you catch him just beforehand, which scores the point for your team!

It's a whole lot of fun, and I want to make sure it works exactly like it should when it is officially released. So I'm going to host a public Beta-test this coming Sunday for as many people as would like to join. As with any Beta-test, the emphasis is on good feedback and bug reports, so I hope we can get a good crowd.

-------------------------

Anyway, I'm sure there are a ton of questions, so let me see if I can answer as many as possible:

Q. What exactly is required for a team to score?
A. Every player on the other team must be either dead, dying, or in the jail room. Observers are not counted as active players.

Q. How do players free their teammates?
A. It depends on the level, and it could potentially be anything from a forcefield switch to a fly-though door trigger. [However, I can tell you that all the levels built for BreakOut as of today have switches you have to 'bump' to activate.]

Q. What happens after all the players on one team are captured?
A. The 'capturing' team is awarded one point, everyone hears a team-score sound, and there is a 5-second countdown. After the 5 seconds, every player in the game is set back to 100 shields and 100 energy, and everyone is instantly teleported to an open room on their team's side to start the next 'round'.

Q. What happens to captured players after they respawn in the jail room?
A. Well, they're free to fly around and collect weapons or whatever they want, until they are either:
1. Released, or
2. Teleported out after the round is over
(Note that in both cases, they keep any weapons they've gathered).
There are other options as well:
3. Players can go into observer mode to help their team locate hidden opponents (this is risky, however, as this may cause them to miss the chance to get out when a teammate tries to free them). Coming out of observer mode simply puts them back in jail.
4. Depending on the level design, captured players may be able to shoot out of the jail room, all weapons count as normal.
5. Sometimes, players just goof around with their other captured teammates, lol.

Q. What happens when I first join a game?
A. You will initially show up in a jail room, but the 5-second 'new round' countdown will immediately start and subsequently teleport you into a room on your team's side.

Q. What levels are compatible with BreakOut?
A. So far, the levels which have been built are:
- "GlassHouse BreakOut", a modification (with permission) of RoadRunner's classic CTF and Anarchy level. This one has been by far the most popular level in early tests.
- "HalfPipe BreakOut", a modification of the original Outrage level, with a forcefield-enclosed jail room at each end.
- "Jailhouse Kleptomania", an original level by [RIP]Fusion, featuring a unique switch-and-blockade design for the jailrooms.
- "WaterDucts BreakOut" (unfinished), an original level by [RIP]d3jake.
- Other level designers have expressed interest in building or modifying levels for use with BreakOut; I'm happy to send out the detailed design specs for anyone who would like to build a BreakOut level.

Q. "Can't players escape by just exiting and rejoining or going in and out of observer mode?"
A. Nope, BreakOut watches for those scenarios; players just return to the jail room.

Q. "How does it work when there is only one player on a team?"
A. It essentially becomes Team Anarchy at that point. When that player is captured/killed, it's a score for the other team. BreakOut gets most interesting when there are more players, as the team momentum is able to swing back and forth by players breaking their teammates free.

Q. "When can we try this?"
A. I'll be posting a download link on Sunday afternoon, along with setting up some dedicated games for the Beta-testing. The mod and the first three levels listed above (GlassHouse BreakOut, HalfPipe BreakOut, and JailHouse Kleptomania) will be included for the Beta test. As I said above, everyone is welcome to join; just give me some good feedback regarding any problems and/or things you enjoy!

Q. "Can we get some screenshots?"
A. I'll try to get a couple of screenshots (to show you the HUD, and feature a couple of the levels) later this week.

Questions/comments? I'm looking forward to this!
Maulwurf
aka Seeker

PostPosted: 02.04.2008, 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds interesting. but I have concerns about captured players, geting bored very fast. But I think without having tried it, there is no real judgement. Smilie
King Lo
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.04.2008, 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this sounds really interesting... I remember I had the same idea with hostages Smilie Maybe we can play your new mod at Monday evening matches Smilie.

Just two questions I'd like to add:
Q: Will there be sources available or will you develop a binary for linux systems?
Q: Why does it only work at special levels? Is it because of the jail (maybe one could just use the room where the CTF flag hangs) or because of the forcefields you've mentioned?
D.Cent
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.04.2008, 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already asked Foil and he will give me the sources to make a Linux-binary. (but don't ask me if the source will be public)
Marix
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.04.2008, 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't distributing the linux and windows version seperately cause differet checksums?
Foil
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.04.2008, 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maulwurf wrote:
sounds interesting. but I have concerns about captured players, geting bored very fast. But I think without having tried it, there is no real judgement. Smilie

That was my worry, too. But when we've played it in alpha-testing, once players got accustomed to the level, people generally spend very little time in the jail room. Either they are released by teammates, or the other team scores (then everyone is teleported to start the next round). Putting some weapon spawnpoints in the jailroom also helps.

King Lo wrote:
Q: Will there be sources available or will you develop a binary for linux systems?

I'll be sending D.Cent the source sometime before the final version is released. I won't be making the source freely available (at least not yet), but I will definitely make the level design specs public.

King Lo wrote:
Q: Why does it only work at special levels? Is it because of the jail (maybe one could just use the room where the CTF flag hangs) or because of the forcefields you've mentioned?

Exactly. The CTF flag rooms can work as jail rooms, but they will need to be modified with a way to enclose it, plus some scripting to allow it to be opened from the outside. The levels so far mostly use switches and forcefields (because I'm not very good with D3Edit), but it's open for creative designs.

Last edited by Foil on 03.04.2008, 08:35; edited 1 time in total
D.Cent
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.04.2008, 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marix wrote:
Won't distributing the linux and windows version seperately cause differet checksums?

Let me fix that, too Smilie
I have some knowledge about getting out a checksum!
Delia
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.04.2008, 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOIL - Thank you so much for your hard work and creating this fun mod!

And thank you for including me in the testing over the last few months. zwinkern

It has been very much fun to play, and i'm looking forward to the finished project! Sehr glücklich

@Mauli: ...bored? Never! Oooh laaaaah!
Munk
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.04.2008, 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Checksum routines do not check for the Mod, just for the level and ship data.
So no need to worry.
DwnUndr
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 04.04.2008, 06:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maulwurf wrote:

Even with 4 players the max time I spent in jail was maybe 30 seconds. Of course, your teammates need to stay alert that a teammate is jailed and go free them.

Remembering 9-11 and thankful that bin Laden is now at room temperature. Smilie
Foil
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 04.04.2008, 09:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

DwnUndr wrote:
Even with 4 players the max time I spent in jail was maybe 30 seconds.

Yep, most jail stays are less than 10 seconds or so, from my experience.

Plus, there are always things for jailed players to do: Cool

1. Collect weapons (you don't want to escape with only blues & concussion missiles!)
2. Shoot out from the jail room (if possible)
3. Watch for enemies to warn teammates about traps/campers/etc.
...or even...
4. Go into Observer mode to help teammates locate enemies
5. Multi-suicide (to build up extra shields)
...or just for fun...
6. Goof around with other captured teammates in the jail room Winken

Last edited by Foil on 04.04.2008, 10:00; edited 1 time in total
Maulwurf
aka Seeker

PostPosted: 04.04.2008, 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to give it a try Sehr glücklich
Delia
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 05.04.2008, 01:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Foil, all - I will host Glasshouse - BreakOut! Sehr glücklich

Server will be up Sunday until whenever testing is done this week... zwinkern
Zorc
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 06.04.2008, 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Other level designers have expressed interest in building or modifying levels for use with BreakOut; I'm happy to send out the detailed design specs for anyone who would like to build a BreakOut level.

Foil, please send me the design guidelines, i´d like to translate them for Roadrunner, he is thinking of building a level for BreakOut.
Do_Checkor
Administrator

PostPosted: 06.04.2008, 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorc wrote:

Foil, please send me the design guidelines, i´d like to translate them for Roadrunner, he is thinking of building a level for BreakOut.

I have done so already (I copied them to you now, too) a couple of days ago. It seems not to be absolutely clear at this point what needs to be done but as soon as we have seen the game and level we'll understand it. Overall it seems that the amendments to the levels are pretty straight forward.
Zorc
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 06.04.2008, 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thank you Checkor. Got the guideline.

Last edited by Zorc on 06.04.2008, 17:12; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> English Embassy / International Descenters Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: