Descentforum.DE Forum Index Descentforum.DE
Search | FAQ | Memberlist | Usergroups | Newsfeed Newsfeed  Register
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in 
Chat | D3-Tactics | Downloads | Map | Links | Serverlist | Teamspeak 

New Descent 3 SP level: Omens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 03.08.2018, 03:56    Post subject: New Descent 3 SP level: Omens Reply with quote

I just released a new singleplayer level for Descent 3.

It features Overload-style robots and weapons, two boss robots, a new soundtrack from Jerry Berlongieri and more.

Grab it at Descent 3 Sector: https://sectorgame.com/d3/downloads/?nav=display&file=880

Or MODDB: https://www.moddb.com/mods/omens

Enjoy!

Maybe could you put this in the news section Checkor? Smilie

Last edited by Hunter on 03.08.2018, 04:00; edited 2 times in total
Hunter
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 07.08.2018, 00:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level has been updated with some fixes, simply DL the file again.
Do_Checkor
Administrator

PostPosted: 16.08.2018, 22:11    Post subject: Re: New Descent 3 SP level: Omens Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:

Maybe could you put this in the news section Checkor? Smilie

Sorry for the delay which was due to an internet connection change as per separate thread - but the answer is of course: of course!

Thanks a bunch for your passionate contribution once again! Much appreciated!
Boogie
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 23.12.2018, 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late, but I finally played it through - One of the best community singleplayer missions I can recall, very good balanced and entertaining robots - some of them are really tough. Lachen The first Boss fight was kinda annoying I have to say, same with the matcens. They need to go out quicker. But the final boss was SO GOOD and was a real gem. Really makes me think about building another singleplayer mission again.
Hunter
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 25.12.2018, 01:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The level works pretty good in co-op too, maybe give it a go with your VEX guys Smilie You'll find the matcens explode much quicker when you have unlimited ammo Winken
Thomas
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 15.06.2019, 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played through this level too today although I cheated for the final boss. Lachen
Trainee wasn't enough for me to get past it, and I thought almost an entire day for a single level should be enough. Winken

Definitely one of the best levels for the game, if not the best.

It's huge and of Mercenary quality and style. The mod might need some getting used to but that's probably only me. Cool
I like the coronas and the dark environment, and of course the many sound sources and effects.

Thanks, Hunter, for this masterpiece!
Thomas
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 16.06.2019, 00:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
Thanks! The level works pretty good in co-op too, maybe give it a go with your VEX guys Smilie You'll find the matcens explode much quicker when you have unlimited ammo Winken

This would have been an exciting bonus but unfortunately it joins the long queue of Descent 3 co-op capable missions that crash within the first minute.
No luck here so far. The server says bye-bye before the first forcefields disappear.

It's still an amazing single-player mission.
Hunter
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 16.06.2019, 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm that must be something to do with your setup, because I've seen several Omens co-op games the past few months Smilie I also patched the level two times to fix bugs I received in feedback.

Make sure you have the latest version of the level (ver 1.2) which fixes crash bugs: https://sectorgame.com/d3/downloads/files/Omens1.2.zip
Typically this level SHOULD work on both regular D3 and GOG D3 (pre-installed with Merc) but I recommend the GOG version for stability.

Thanks for the praise! The level was actually inspired by Mercenary, so I'm glad that came through Winken

I did a full playthrough of this recently @ https://youtu.be/qRbRh0_KDCk

Last edited by Hunter on 16.06.2019, 11:57; edited 2 times in total
Thomas
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 16.06.2019, 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter wrote:
Hmm that must be something to do with your setup, because I've seen several Omens co-op games the past few months Smilie I also patched the level two times to fix bugs I received in feedback.

I tried it again just now with different settings. No luck. Remote console off and everything. The server crashes in under a minute as soon as a player joins.

Quote:
Make sure you have the latest version of the level (ver 1.2) which fixes crash bugs: https://sectorgame.com/d3/downloads/files/Omens1.2.zip

That's the one I'm trying to host.

Quote:
Typically this level SHOULD work on both regular D3 and GOG D3 (pre-installed with Merc) but I recommend the GOG version for stability.

Both, server and client have the Dateiliste version installed, which is a European version of regular D3 with a patch from Alexi to fix 32 bit graphics. The GOG version is a regular D3 too but with the XP compatibility mode on, which only affects virtualisation and user interface.

Quote:
Thanks for the praise! The level was actually inspired by Mercenary, so I'm glad that came through Winken

Really looks fantastic! A very nice huge mine. And dark, with lots of light effects. Just how I like D3. Winken

Quote:
I did a full playthrough of this recently @ https://youtu.be/qRbRh0_KDCk

Great video. One can see that you know all the bits and bobs in that level. Winken
Hunter
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 16.06.2019, 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird, maybe I'll check it if I get time. D3 has so many weird little quirks that are hard to find, but the level does work on dedi servers because I've run it myself - and I've seen other dedis running it with 4 active players, no crashes. So probably something weird somewhere in the config, maybe its the level or just some strange compatibility issue I've overlooked. The only suggestions I can make is: make sure you're using Alexi's co-op mod, also framecap should be lower (not 999 or 0), don't disallow any objects etc. I will try and find the problem later... no promises though.

Last edited by Hunter on 16.06.2019, 19:56; edited 2 times in total
Thomas
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 17.06.2019, 00:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Hunter. Was good to play the level in co-op this evening. Guess we'll have to do it again soon. Smilie
I have a suspicion already why it might crash here as a dedicated server.
Thomas
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 17.06.2019, 02:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my suspicion was right. It's the hardware that's too old/slow. I tried the very same copy of D3 and the server tool on two more PCs now and both worked without crashes, but the original one still crashes within a minute.

The one that crashes has the oldest hardware with only a single CPU/2 cores and a built-in GPU (Intel something). It's a Lenovo Q190 (https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/desktops/lenovo/q-series/q190/).

During the creation of AOH we've noticed before that a D3 co-op server runs better the better the hardware is. It seems there's some constraints (= bugs Cool ) with the many threads a dedi runs on.
Thomas
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 30.06.2019, 02:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quirk in D3, which is not unique to Omens.

When the level has been played for something like an hour or so no one else can join. Trying to join in later keeps crashing new clients while the server's still running happily. It could also have something to do with the uptime.

If only the f... source code of that thing would finally be released...
Hunter
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 01.07.2019, 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to apply to players that already joined earlier - only to new players. D3 has weird bugs..

Basewars Redux is another level you can check, it was re-designed for SP/CO-OP and has totally new scripting added on top of the original level. It too has some strange online bugs Smilie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> News - Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: