Descentforum.DE Forum Index Descentforum.DE
Search | FAQ | Memberlist | Usergroups | Newsfeed Newsfeed  Register
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in 
Chat | D3-Tactics | Downloads | Map | Links | Serverlist | Teamspeak 

Flight Back (Open Descent) - Status Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> English Embassy / International Descenters Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Lo
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.04.2009, 22:32    Post subject: Flight Back (Open Descent) - Status Report Reply with quote

Howdyhoe Smilie

Check out what we've (Cent and me) done this week! Descent3 Levels can be displayed with Irrlicht - still basically - but it is getting better!

At first, we extracted rooms from D3L files into our own format .ODFL (Open Descent Foundation Level). It shall be a simple level format, easy understandable. Currently, it only contains a header, the list of verts and the list of polygonal, concave faces.

Then, we loaded the new format into Irrlicht. Therefore, we wrote our own level loader class (CODFLMeshFileLoader). After some 5-10 hours of work, we could load and display it correctly with Irrlicht. Currently, you only see the faces as simple wireframes. You can fly through it like you fly in Descent.

Currently, me and cent are working at improvements. We will have to implement
- the camera position (hopefully contained in the D3L files)
- the textures (hog extractor and OAF->TGA converter already done)
- putting more rooms together to a whole level (quite easy, but we will have to extend the ODFL format)
- converting and displaying objects (very far away ... )

Afterwards, we can continue build our 3D Engine upon Irrlicht i.e. collision, antialiasing... is there much more to do?!

Btw: The netcode for our new Descent is almost finished and will be published in a new version of DescentShooter soon.

We are very optimistic that our open Descent is not as far as it seems!

Greetings,
Lo

Material

Since it is all open source, you can download all we made until now!

- ODFL converter: UploadTracker, package "d3l_master" http://intelcentino.in.funpic.de/ODF_members/tracker.php
- ODFL file loader - unpack the file in the irrlicht maindirectory: http://www.odf-online.org/downloads/odfl_loader_addon-0.01.tar.gz
- Our little 3D engine Winken package "odfl_reader" http://intelcentino.in.funpic.de/ODF_members/tracker.php
- Current DescentShooter netcode: package "src" http://intelcentino.in.funpic.de/ODF_members/tracker.php

Pictures (some may follow) are below...

Thanks to Boogie and Tom for great support about D3L.

odfl_disscent_room_1.png
 Description:
DissentD3 - first room!
 Filesize:  106.07 KB
 Viewed:  1413 Time(s)

odfl_disscent_room_1.png

Munk
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 03.04.2009, 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schön gemacht, weiter so !

Für nen D3-Levelbetrachter fallen mir (neben dem Spiel) schon einige andere Anwendungsmöglichkeiten ein ^^
WillyP
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 20.04.2009, 01:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are progressing well. Sehr glücklich

Am I to understand you are currently importing D3 levels, or at least rooms, to Irrlicht, and successfully test flying in these rooms?

D.Cent
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 20.04.2009, 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - In another thread we already described (in German) that we are now able to load Descent3-levels including their textures. We will offer some screenshots later. Smilie
Gold Leader
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 29.07.2009, 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

todayI have continued work of the Story for ODF, the main storyline + 24 missions, 6 sub secret missions is complete, I am now working on the first mission pack, got to mission 10 now + all the script for the inbetween cutscenes Smilie 4 more main missions and 3 sub secret ones and the first mission pack is complete script wise Smilie

fopr those that don't know what a Role Script Writer is, it's a person that writes the storyline of the game and the events of the player that will take place.

Last edited by Gold Leader on 29.07.2009, 19:20; edited 2 times in total
Floyd
Forum-Orakel

PostPosted: 11.02.2013, 01:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Status? zwinkern
d3jake
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 26.02.2013, 01:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to College\University work of team-members involved, production had restarted for the better part of a month or so, but has become dormant again. We have movement, weapons defined via files (not hard-coded), powerups being placed automatically, pickup correct. We don't have a HUD, nor any sort of gametype programming. We've got some netcode written, but I do not know how close we were to a demo.

I feel as if we were close to a playable demo, but it don't look like it'll be happening any time soon.

[08:49.54] zico: Ohh.. I found someting: "REALITY: Located where Pizza-Man comes from"

"Das Wichtigste sind wir
das Jetzt und Hier,
und dass wir alle hier zusammen sind!"
-Wise Guys "Jetzt Und Hier"
Gold Leader
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 05.09.2018, 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an idea to reboot the ODF since it's like about 5 years later now?
I still have my rolescripts for Flight Back, it's that I just miss the old days Traurig

Last edited by Gold Leader on 05.09.2018, 17:09; edited 1 time in total
D.Cent
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 05.09.2018, 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold Leader wrote:
Maybe an idea to reboot the ODF since it's like about 5 years later now?
I still have my rolescripts for Flight Back, it's that I just miss the old days Traurig

I'm sorry to disappoint you and I really miss the old days as well, but this project will not continue.

When we initially started our efforts, I was still going to school and Lo was studying, so we both had lots of spare time. But lives change constantly and since I've got to work as a software developer 40 hours a week, I simply don't feel like coding in my spare time anymore. Besides, lots of people who were involved stopped being active in the community (Darcshadow, Kaizerwolf, Jake, ...) and Lo even lost his interest in the Descent series.

I had a great time working on this project (and on the others we had) and I doubt that I would have gained that much experience if it wasn't for the ODF, so I enjoy looking back at what we did.

If anybody else likes to continue from where we stopped though, you are welcome to do so - the code of all our projects is still hosted at SourceForge ( http://odf.bzr.sf.net/bzr/odf/ ).
Gold Leader
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 05.09.2018, 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah shames ah well glad I manage to complete my story which I gave to the community, not sure I posted here at Descentforum.de yet, hah ah well after I completed the rolescript for Flight Back: The Aftermath of Samuel Dravis & Flight Back: Vengeance not long after that I had a heavy concussion, sadly I have lost the feel for writing, but still happy I still had a backup of my work, always worth a good read.

My interest for Descent shall never fade, may continue with my collection again, as it seems I found a few items to add again Smilie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> English Embassy / International Descenters Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: