Descentforum.DE Forum Index Descentforum.DE
Search | FAQ | Memberlist | Usergroups | Newsfeed Newsfeed  Register
Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in 
Chat | D3-Tactics | Downloads | Map | Links | Serverlist | Teamspeak 

the Fellowship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> English Embassy / International Descenters Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DwnUndr
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 24.11.2002, 01:32    Post subject: the Fellowship Reply with quote

Standby...

:p

Remember 9-11
Diti
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 24.11.2002, 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote:

Standby...

:p

Remember 9-11

We are ALWAYS ready, sir!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Du magst keine Spinnen? - SIE moegen Dich auch nicht!
DwnUndr
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 30.11.2002, 01:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EVOLUTION

First I was a player, known simply as DwnUndr in Descent3.

Then I was a Designer, making Canyon Siege as my first D3 level.

A year later I became a member of the mighty RIP team, now known as [RIP]DwnUndr.

Years after that (and many levels later), I became a Director. I teamed up with [RIP]Shark to make the Gauntlet. Then I teamed up with [RIP]Shark and [RIP]Hydra to create Reap THIS. Then I teamed up with Thunderbunny, [DCG]Roadrunner and Fischlein to create Halloween and Creep Out.

Along the way (and to this day) I have also helped many designers with level questions, fixes and hosting.

Now I think it would be fun to be a Producer. I am incredibly excited about this project!

Remember 9-11
DwnUndr
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 30.11.2002, 01:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PROLOGUE

I was watching Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Rings one night and I realized what a great Descent3 level set this would make. Who cares if Hobbits have never seen Pyro's! Hehe. I mapped out how many levels could be made from it and came up with nine (Fellowship of the nine!). Unfortunately, most of the movie is above ground and a lot of pilots don't like terrain levels as much as mine levels, so I adjusted the levels. The way I decided to do it is:

level 1: Shire Baggins
level 2: Tower of Sauromon
level 3: Pit at the base of the Tower
level 4: Town of the Inn of the Prancing Pony
level 5: Dwarven mines of Moria..entrance
level 6: Moria...up to the three doorways
level 7: Moria...the coffin room and giant hall
level 8: Moria... collapsed stairs over lava
level 9: Moria...bridge of Kasadoom over lava

As you can see, I expanded the Mines of Moria to five levels and discarded the terrain levels of the Woods, the Elvin city and the Lake. The Fires of Mount Doom will have to wait for a sequel!

I plan to serve this level set on 10 minute cycles. The levels will each be small enough to play fast and fun and a player can see all nine levels in 90 minutes of play. They will be playable in Anarchy, Team Anarchy, Hoard, Instareap and TeamInstareap. Maybe we will place CTF too, but maybe not since some of the levels will be small. Each level should have one or two energy centers.

I will be suggesting to the design team that we also "theme" the weapons in each level. For instance, the Bridge of Kasadoom could have mainly napalm cannons and napalm rockets, the Tower of Sauromon could have mainly smarts and EMD (I know, I hate that weapon too, but it really ties in the wizard theme!). Suggestions?

I will be giving the design team outlines of each level so that they are small enough to play well and to preserve the storyline continuity.

To simplify things, NO custom ships, NO custom weapons, NO scripting. If you want to use doors, fine. If you want to use custom textures, fine...as long as they are inserted manually (not with game files). This way the numerous mac players can view them (there are 3 mac pilots on my team alone). If anyone needs help manually inserting custom textures, just ask me or Roadrunner.

If there is ample clamour (after this release) for any of these levels (even combining some of the levels into one larger one) to be made into Entropy or Guardian levels, we will! The weapon selection will be made normal again.

Now you have seen the play and the set...on to the cast!

Remember 9-11
DwnUndr
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 30.11.2002, 01:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CAST

[RIP]DwnUndr for Producer, designer.

Thunderbunny did such a good job of creating the Load Screens for Halloween and Creep Out that I will be asking him to do the same for each of these levels. This time it will be a little more complicated since each level should have it's number and name appear larger than the rest as well as nine separate backgrounds.

[LL]Diti did such a good job of his own web site explanations of his recent level Diamond that I will be asking him to document this effort with it's own web pages. I hope to have each member of the team supply their ship logo, a picture of themselves and a description of what they did as well as thoughts about the level set as a whole. I would also like a short biography listing years playing, years building, age and where you live in the world. Also, each designer could list the significant levels they have built (some designers have VERY long lists!). It would be very cool if Diti could also make separate language versions in English, German and Danish! The language could be selected at the beginning and be on three separate pages rather than a triple length page. His previous work: http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q5272416/d3.html

Do_Checkor..language translations?

[RIP]Shark

[RIP]Buddha

[RIP]Hydra

I have emailed [ROX]Otherone to do one or more of the Moria levels. No reply yet, he may be on vacation.

[UK]Robo has expressed interest if he has the time

Of course, I will be asking [DCG]Roadrunner, Fischlein and [LL]Atan to join us!

Once I have decisions from these folks, I will be posting more! A mass email has just gone out...

Remember 9-11
DwnUndr
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 30.11.2002, 01:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FELLOWSHIP

I have already made the terrain and some structures for the first level, Shire Baggins. This is to give to the design team to show them the "style" that I am looking for. I hope to also have the time to outline each level for size and content so the storyline stays consistent. I may leave the Hobbit homes themselves for another designer to finish, but I will place the roof and doors so they can work "inside the mine".

Since we have so much talent and so few levels (lol) It would be a good idea to pair up designers. One could finish the outer shell while the other could do the details (like chairs, tables, etc).

Once I am done with the outlines, I will send out a package to the team. Until then, talk amongst yourselves and decide who you could work well with and what levels you are interested in.

It is a shame that Christmas is so near, it would have been a cool release date, but realistically I am looking for a February 1st release date. Anyone who accepts a position here would have to have their part completed by January21st (?) so we can do some beta testing and corrections if needed. Please don't accept a position and then never do anything because others would have to take up the slack at the last moment.

I started a thread about this on the private RIP board a week ago and have Shark, Buddha and Hydra interested.

Anyone interested in this project should rent the movie and watch it!

The SEARCH for Designers

I looked through the level lists of several bulletin boards and wrote down the names of all the folks who have made good levels...and are still around. I came up with 24 names! If I asked ALL of these folks to help, I would guess that 10 of them would decline for lack of time, etc. I will ask folks individually to begin with. So, if your name isn't called in the first batch, email me with your interest. dwnundr@ripteam.com

Most of the time I will be passing emails back and forth rather than asking folks to post here and consume space. Many thanks to Do_Checkor for this fine board! I will post periodic progress reports as well as beta testing IP's and times.

Not all of the folks on this design team read or write english, so I ask for a volunteer to do translations if needed. Do_Checkor?

It might be December 7th before I have the outlines ready as a whole, but I will be sending them out as each is finished.

Remember 9-11
Roadrunner
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 30.11.2002, 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote:
Not all of the folks on this design team read or write english, so I ask for a volunteer to do translations if needed. Do_Checkor?

Mach mal Checkor Bitte Bitte

bist du nicht Teil der Lösung biste Teil des Problems
so sieht dat aus
DigiJo
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 02.12.2002, 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

moin leute ,
ich habs mal bis zum casting übersetzt.

start of translation (up to casting):
----------------------------------
Die ENTWICKLUNG:

Zuerst war ich einfach ein spieler bekant unter dem namen DwnUndr.

Dann bin ich leveldesigner geworden, mein erster d3-level war canyon siege.

Ein jahr später wurde ich mitglied des großartigen RIP-teams, nun kennt man mich als [RIP]DwnUndr.

Einige Jahre später (und viele level später) wurde ich sowas wie "director" und habe im team mit anderen level designed, unter anderem "Gauntlet" mit [RIP]Shark, "Reap This" mit [RIP]Shark und [RIP]Hydra und zuletzt "Halloween" und "Creepout" im Team mit Thunderbunny, [DCG]Roadrunner und Fischlein.

Auf diesem weg (und auch heute noch) habe ich auch vielen leveldesigner geholfen mit fragen zu level-konstruktion, fehlerbehebung und levelhosting.

Nun denke ich es würde spaß bringen mal ein "Produzent" zu sein. Ich bin unheimlich begeistert von diesem projekt!

Der PROLOG:
Ich habe eines nachts den "Herrn der Ringe - Die Gefährten" geschaut und mir ist der gedanke gekommen was für ein großartiges Descent 3 levelset man aus diesem thema machen könnte. Wenn interressierts das Hobbits niemals Pyros gesehen haben! hehe. Als erstes habe ich versucht die kapitel des films in spielbare level aufzuteilen und heraus kamen 9 ideen für level passend zu den filmkapiteln. sozusagen "Die 9 Gefährten" (Fellowship of the nine)

Unglücklicherweise spielt der größte teil des films überirdisch, und da die meisten piloten minen-levels gegenüber terrain-levels bevorzugen hab ich mehr gewicht auf die minen-level gelegt. herraus kam folgende idee (ein levelset mit 9 leveln):

level 1: Shire Baggins
level 2: Tower of Sauromon
level 3: Pit at the base of the Tower
level 4: Town of the Inn of the Prancing Pony
level 5: Dwarven mines of Moria..entrance
level 6: Moria...up to the three doorways
level 7: Moria...the coffin room and giant hall
level 8: Moria... collapsed stairs over lava
level 9: Moria...bridge of Kasadoom over lava

Wie ihr sehen könnt habe ich die minen von moria ausgweitet auf fünf level und viele überirdische szenen ausgelassen wie z.b. "Der Wald" "Elvins Stadt und der See". Die feuer des berges doom müssen warten und werden gegebenfalls im nachfolger auftauchen.

ich hab geplant dieses level-set mit einer 10-minuten-rotation auf den servern zu hosten, jeder level für sich sollte klein und schnell spielbar sein, so das die spieler in 90 minuten alle level gesehen und gespielt haben können.
Alle level sollten folgende modi unterstützen:

Anarchy, Team Anarchy, Hoard, Instareap and TeamInstareap.

vieleicht wäre ctf auch gut, vieleicht aber auch nicht da einige der level klein sein werden. jedes level sollte ein oder zwei energy-center haben.

ich würde auch vorschlagen das waffen-loadaout dem thema des levels anzupassen, als beispiel könnte die "brücke von kasadoom" hauptsächlich napalmraketen und die napalmkannone haben,
"Sauromons Turm" könnte mit smarts und EMD ausgestattet werden usw. (ich weiß ich kann die emd auch nicht leiden aber es würde gut zu den level-thema passen.

ich werde für das design-team level-entwürfe erstellen so das sie klein genung sind um schnell und gut spielbar zu sein, gleichzeitig aber zum thema der story passen.

um die dinge zu vereinfachen, bitte keine custom ships, keine custom weapons und keine scripts in den leveln, türen wären ok. wenn custom texturen verwendet werden ist das auch ok solange sie manuel eingefügt sind ( keine gamtable files) damit die vieln mac-spieler diese level auch spielen können (externe gamtables crashen die mac-d3 versionen) hey ich hab im rip-team allein 3 mac-player.

wenn großes interesse (nach dem release) besteht einige der level zu größeren levels zu kombinieren oder sie als guardian oder entropy-version umzubauen so ist auch das kein problem. das waffenloadout etc. (keine custom ships) solte sich aber nicht ändern.

so, das spiel und die idee hab ihr nun gesehen, nun kommen wir zum casting. (rekrutieren der leveldesigner für das projekt)

DwnUndr
--------------------------------------

ich hoffe mal ich hab keine fehler gemacht..

Floyd
Forum-Orakel

PostPosted: 03.12.2002, 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mehr oder weniger frei nach DwnUndr:

Die Besetzung

[RIP]DwnUndr als Produzent, Designer

Thunderbunny hat solch gute Arbeit mit den Lade-Bildern für Halloween und Creep Out geleistet, dass ich ihn darum bitten werde, das selbe für jedes dieser Level zu tun. Dieses Mal wird es etwas komplizierter werden, da Nummer und Name jedes Levels größer als der Rest erscheinen werden, genauso wie seperate Hintergründe.

[LL]Diti hat solch gute Arbeit bei der Erklärung seines letzten Levels Diamond auf seiner Webseite geleistet, dass ich ihn darum bitten werde, diesen Aufwand (den der Fellowship-Serie) mit seinen eigenen Webseiten zu dokumentieren.

Ich hoffe, dass jedes Mitglied des Teams sein Schifflogo zur Verfügung stellen wird, ein Bild von sich selbst und eine Beschreibung was er getan hat, ebenso Gedanken über das Levelset als Ganzes. Ich hätte auch ganz gern eine kurze Biographie, die aufzeigt, wie lange derjenige schon spielt (in Jahren), wie lange er schon Levels baut, das Alter enthält und wo er wohnt. Außerdem könnte jeder Designer die nennenswertesten Levels auflisten, die er gebaut hat (manche Designer haben SEHR lange Listen!). Es wäre sehr cool wenn Diti auch getrennte Sprachversionen machen könnte, in Englisch, Deutsch und Dänisch! Die Sprache könnte beim Betreten der Seite gewählt werden und damit das Ganze auf drei verschiedenen Seiten gestaltet werden, statt es auf eine dreimal so lange Seite zu bringen. Seine bisherige Arbeit: http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q5272416/d3.html

Do_Checkor..Übersetzungen der Sprachen?

[RIP]Shark

[RIP]Buddha

[RIP]Hydra

Ich habe [ROX]Otherone angeschrieben, und ihn gebeten ein oder mehrere Moria Levels zu erstellen. Bisher keine Antwort, er könnte im Urlaub sein.

[UK]Robo hat Interesse, falls er Zeit hat.

Natürlich werde ich [DCG]Roadrunner, Fischlein und [LL]Atan einladen, unserem Team beizutreten.

Sobald ich Entscheidungen von diesen Leuten haben werde ich mehr posten. Eine Massen-Email wurde gerade gesendet ...

Die Gefährten

Ich habe schon die Außenwelt und ein paar Strukturen für das erste Level erstellt, Shire Baggins. Das soll dem Design-Team zeigen, welchen Stil ich mir vorstelle. Ich hoffe auch die Zeit zu haben, um ungefähre Angaben zu Größe und Inhalt der anderen Levels zu machen, so dass die Story fortlaufend bleibt. Ich werde vielleicht die Fertigstellung der Heimat der Hobbits selbst einem anderen Designer überlassen, aber ich werde noch das Dach und die Tür einsetzen, so dass er "in der mine" arbeiten kann.

Da wir so viel Talent und so wenige LEvels (lol) haben, wäre es eine gute Idee, wenn sich jeweils zwei Designer zusammentun. Einer könnte die äußere Form fertigstellen und der andere könnte an den Details arbeiten (wie Stühle, Tische, etc.).

Sobald ich die Angaben fertig habe, werde ich ein paket an das Team senden. Bis dahin, stimmt Euch untereinander ab und überlegt Euch, mit wem Ihr gut zusammenarbeiten könntet und für welche Levels Ihr Euch interessieren würdet.

Es ist schade, dass Weihnachten so nah ist, es wäre ein cooles Veröffentlichungsdatum, aber ich sehe realistisch einen 1. Februar um es zu veröffentlichen. Jeder, der hier eine Position einnimmt/akzeptiert, hätte seinen Teil zu bis zum 21. Januar (?) fertigzustellen, damit wir ein paar Beta-Tests durchführen können und Korrekturen vornehmen können, falls nötig. Bitte meldet Euch nicht für eine Position um dann nichts zu tun, weil andere dann im letzten Moment einspringen müssten.

Ich habe ein Thema darüber auf dem privaten RIP-Board vor einer Woche eröffnet und konnte Shark, Buddha und Hydra interessieren.

Jeder, der an diesem Projekt interessiert ist, sollte sich den Film ausleihen und ansehen!

Die Suche nach Designern

Ich habe die Levellisten einiger BB#s durchgesehen und die Namen aller aufgeschrieben, die gute Levels gemacht haben...und noch präsent sind. Ich bin auf 24 Namen gekommen! Würde ich JEDEN dieser Leute um Hilfe fragen, würden schätzungsweise 10 aus Zeitmangel ablehnen, etc. Ich werde für den Anfang jeden einzeln ansprechen. Also, wenn Dein Name bisher noch nicht erschienen ist, teile mir Dein Interesse per Email mit. dwnundr@ripteam.com

Meistens werde ich die Mails hin- und herschicken, statt die Leute darum zu bitten, hier zu posten und Platz zu verbrauchen. Vielen Dank an Do_Checkor für dieses feine Board/Forum! Ich werde regelmäßig Fortschritte und IP's und Zeiten für Beta-Tests posten.

Es könnte bereits der 7. Dezember sein, bevor ich alle Umriss-Angaben insgesamt fertig habe, aber ich werde sie sobald sie fertig sind, versenden.

~F

Man sollte nie mehr essen, als man mit aller Gewalt hinunterbringt. (Orakel v. Delphi)
Do_Checkor
Administrator

PostPosted: 03.12.2002, 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to DigiJo and Floyd for their nice work. I couldn't do this job actually because I am really buisy with several other descent-related work...
DwnUndr
Forum-Nutzer

PostPosted: 04.12.2002, 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for translating guys!

Remember 9-11
D3Mac
Airbus

PostPosted: 07.12.2002, 04:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds very very interesting, i m looking forward to see it

i have only one request: plz dont modify the weapons.

mac

The Only Way To Travel Is To Fly !

Der Name Airbus und das Airbus-Logo sind eingetragene Warenzeichen von Airbus Industries
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Descentforum.DE Forum Index -> English Embassy / International Descenters Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: